The Martyrdom of Sahibzada Abdul Latif Shaheed

by Prof. Khalil-ur-Rahman


Burial of Hazrat Sahibzada as Narrated by Close Family Members:

Hazrat Sahibzada’s body remained in a mound of stones for some days. When the situation calmed down, a Shia, non- commissioned officer, Badshah Khan Mangal, and a disciple, Mian Ahmad Nur, extricated his blessed body with the help of the guards and took it to a suburban area. They put the body in a coffin and tried to bring it to Syedgah. When they were near Syedgah, a disciple of Hazrat Sahibzada lifted the coffin on his back and brought it to the village. After two days, he was buried in the family cemetery in Ghundai. Numerous people visited the family daily for condolence, and offered prayers for the deceased. The number of visitors was so large that it became difficult for the family to arrange for their stay and food.

When Ameer Habibullah learnt that the body of Hazrat Sahibzada had been buried in Syedgah after removal from the site of martyrdom, and that people thronged there in large numbers for condolence, he became unnecessarily alarmed. He worried that if the disciples and followers of Hazrat Sahibzada were given the signal, they would revolt against his government and overthrow him. Because of the fear that the Ameer may take some further action, it is said that the coffin was secretly removed from the grave and buried in an undisclosed location in the hills of Matun, to the south of Syedgah. It was well known among the locals of the area that lights could be seen descending from the sky towards the earth in the mountains of Matun. The site of the grave in Syedgah was marked by a big stone, which was still in place sixteen years after Hazrat Sahibzada’s family was exiled.

It is said that when Badshah Khan Mangal took out the body of the deceased martyr from the mound of stones, the place exuded a fragrant aroma that filled the whole area, much to the astonishment of those present. Badshah Khan’s wrist got stained by a red, oval shaped mark, which too exuded a fragrant smell. He kept the mark covered under his long sleeves, but once, when he came to Syedgah, he showed the mark to Sahibzada Muhammad Saeed, a son of Hazrat Sahibzada, after which the mark disappeared. Before that, he had tried on numerous occasions to remove the mark by washing, but without success. However, when the mark disappeared, he felt very sorry and sad because he considered it to be a miracle for him and others, and wished then that he had not shown it to Sahibzada Muhammad Saeed.