English Translation and Commentary of the Holy Quran (2010)
by Maulana Muhammad Ali
Chapter 3: Āl Imran — The Family of Amran (Revealed at Madinah: 20 sections, 200 verses)
Section 11 (Verses 3:102–3:109): Muslims Exhorted to Remain United
یٰۤاَیُّہَا الَّذِیۡنَ اٰمَنُوا اتَّقُوا اللّٰہَ حَقَّ تُقٰتِہٖ وَ لَا تَمُوۡتُنَّ اِلَّا وَ اَنۡتُمۡ مُّسۡلِمُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۲﴾
3:102 O you who believe, keep your duty to Allah, as it ought to be kept, and do not die except as Muslims.1
وَ اعۡتَصِمُوۡا بِحَبۡلِ اللّٰہِ جَمِیۡعًا وَّ لَا تَفَرَّقُوۡا ۪ وَ اذۡکُرُوۡا نِعۡمَتَ اللّٰہِ عَلَیۡکُمۡ اِذۡ کُنۡتُمۡ اَعۡدَآءً فَاَلَّفَ بَیۡنَ قُلُوۡبِکُمۡ فَاَصۡبَحۡتُمۡ بِنِعۡمَتِہٖۤ اِخۡوَانًا ۚ وَ کُنۡتُمۡ عَلٰی شَفَا حُفۡرَۃٍ مِّنَ النَّارِ فَاَنۡقَذَکُمۡ مِّنۡہَا ؕ کَذٰلِکَ یُبَیِّنُ اللّٰہُ لَکُمۡ اٰیٰتِہٖ لَعَلَّکُمۡ تَہۡتَدُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۳﴾
3:103 And hold fast by the covenant of Allah2 all together and do not be disunited. And remember Allah’s favour to you when you were enemies, then He united your hearts so by His favour you became brethren. And you were on the brink of a pit of fire, then He saved you from it.3 Thus Allah makes clear to you His messages that you may be guided.
وَلۡتَکُنۡ مِّنۡکُمۡ اُمَّۃٌ یَّدۡعُوۡنَ اِلَی الۡخَیۡرِ وَ یَاۡمُرُوۡنَ بِالۡمَعۡرُوۡفِ وَ یَنۡہَوۡنَ عَنِ الۡمُنۡکَرِ ؕ وَ اُولٰٓئِکَ ہُمُ الۡمُفۡلِحُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۴﴾
3:104 And from among you there should be a community who invite to good and enjoin the right and forbid the wrong. And these are they who are successful.4
وَ لَا تَکُوۡنُوۡا کَالَّذِیۡنَ تَفَرَّقُوۡا وَ اخۡتَلَفُوۡا مِنۡۢ بَعۡدِ مَا جَآءَہُمُ الۡبَیِّنٰتُ ؕ وَ اُولٰٓئِکَ لَہُمۡ عَذَابٌ عَظِیۡمٌ ﴿۱۰۵﴾ۙ
3:105 And do not be like those who became divided and disagreed after clear arguments had come to them. And for them is a grievous punishment.
یَّوۡمَ تَبۡیَضُّ وُجُوۡہٌ وَّ تَسۡوَدُّ وُجُوۡہٌ ۚ فَاَمَّا الَّذِیۡنَ اسۡوَدَّتۡ وُجُوۡہُہُمۡ ۟ اَکَفَرۡتُمۡ بَعۡدَ اِیۡمَانِکُمۡ فَذُوۡقُوا الۡعَذَابَ بِمَا کُنۡتُمۡ تَکۡفُرُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۶﴾
3:106 On the day when (some) faces will brighten and (some) faces will darken.5 Then as to those whose faces are darkened: Did you disbelieve after your belief? So taste the punishment because you disbelieved.
وَ اَمَّا الَّذِیۡنَ ابۡیَضَّتۡ وُجُوۡہُہُمۡ فَفِیۡ رَحۡمَۃِ اللّٰہِ ؕ ہُمۡ فِیۡہَا خٰلِدُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۷﴾
3:107 And as to those whose faces are brightened, they shall be in Allah’s mercy. In it they shall abide.
تِلۡکَ اٰیٰتُ اللّٰہِ نَتۡلُوۡہَا عَلَیۡکَ بِالۡحَقِّ ؕ وَ مَا اللّٰہُ یُرِیۡدُ ظُلۡمًا لِّلۡعٰلَمِیۡنَ ﴿۱۰۸﴾
3:108 These are the messages of Allah which We recite to you with truth. And Allah desires no injustice to (His) creatures.
وَ لِلّٰہِ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ مَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ وَ اِلَی اللّٰہِ تُرۡجَعُ الۡاُمُوۡرُ ﴿۱۰۹﴾٪
3:109 And to Allah belongs whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And to Allah are all affairs returned.
- The Muslims are exhorted, first to be individually conscious of the duty they owe to God (v. 102), and then to remain united in carrying the message of Islam to the whole world (v. 103). Every Muslim must live a life of true submission to God, so that when death comes to him it should find him a Muslim. As v. 104 shows, the Muslim’s great duty, to which attention is called here, is the carrying of the message of Islam to others. ↩
- By the covenant of Allah is meant the Quran, a significance supported by sayings of the Holy Prophet. All Muslims, we are here told, should be united in holding fast to the Quran and carrying its message to other people. ↩
- Before the advent of the Holy Prophet, the Arabs were in a state of continual internecine warfare which threatened to devastate the whole country. He brought about the impossible of uniting all these factions. ↩
- This verse and 9:122 both direct Muslims to have always among them a missionary group, whose only object should be the propagation of Islam and rightly directing their own people. This is the most neglected injunction of the Quran in our day. Muslims have arrangements for all other things but have no arrangements for inviting people to the great truth revealed in the Quran. ↩
- By faces brightening is meant their being expressive of joy, and by their darkening is meant their being expressive of regret. (Editor’s Note: Physical colour of skin, white or black, is not meant here; compare 16:58: “And when the birth of a daughter is announced to one of them, his face becomes dark”.) ↩