English Translation and Commentary of the Holy Quran (2010)
by Maulana Muhammad Ali
Chapter 3: Āl Imran — The Family of Amran (Revealed at Madinah: 20 sections, 200 verses)
Section 3 (Verses 3:21–3:30): Kingdom Granted to Another People
اِنَّ الَّذِیۡنَ یَکۡفُرُوۡنَ بِاٰیٰتِ اللّٰہِ وَ یَقۡتُلُوۡنَ النَّبِیّٖنَ بِغَیۡرِ حَقٍّ ۙ وَّ یَقۡتُلُوۡنَ الَّذِیۡنَ یَاۡمُرُوۡنَ بِالۡقِسۡطِ مِنَ النَّاسِ ۙ فَبَشِّرۡہُمۡ بِعَذَابٍ اَلِیۡمٍ ﴿۲۱﴾
اُولٰٓئِکَ الَّذِیۡنَ حَبِطَتۡ اَعۡمَالُہُمۡ فِی الدُّنۡیَا وَ الۡاٰخِرَۃِ ۫ وَ مَا لَہُمۡ مِّنۡ نّٰصِرِیۡنَ ﴿۲۲﴾
اَلَمۡ تَرَ اِلَی الَّذِیۡنَ اُوۡتُوۡا نَصِیۡبًا مِّنَ الۡکِتٰبِ یُدۡعَوۡنَ اِلٰی کِتٰبِ اللّٰہِ لِیَحۡکُمَ بَیۡنَہُمۡ ثُمَّ یَتَوَلّٰی فَرِیۡقٌ مِّنۡہُمۡ وَ ہُمۡ مُّعۡرِضُوۡنَ ﴿۲۳﴾
ذٰلِکَ بِاَنَّہُمۡ قَالُوۡا لَنۡ تَمَسَّنَا النَّارُ اِلَّاۤ اَیَّامًا مَّعۡدُوۡدٰتٍ ۪ وَ غَرَّہُمۡ فِیۡ دِیۡنِہِمۡ مَّا کَانُوۡا یَفۡتَرُوۡنَ ﴿۲۴﴾
3:24 This is because they say: The Fire shall not touch us but for a few days; and what they forge deceives them regarding their religion.
فَکَیۡفَ اِذَا جَمَعۡنٰہُمۡ لِیَوۡمٍ لَّا رَیۡبَ فِیۡہِ ۟ وَ وُفِّیَتۡ کُلُّ نَفۡسٍ مَّا کَسَبَتۡ وَ ہُمۡ لَا یُظۡلَمُوۡنَ ﴿۲۵﴾
3:25 Then how will it be when We gather them together on a day about which there is no doubt. And every soul shall be fully paid what it has earned, and they shall not be wronged?
قُلِ اللّٰہُمَّ مٰلِکَ الۡمُلۡکِ تُؤۡتِی الۡمُلۡکَ مَنۡ تَشَآءُ وَ تَنۡزِعُ الۡمُلۡکَ مِمَّنۡ تَشَآءُ ۫ وَ تُعِزُّ مَنۡ تَشَآءُ وَ تُذِلُّ مَنۡ تَشَآءُ ؕ بِیَدِکَ الۡخَیۡرُ ؕ اِنَّکَ عَلٰی کُلِّ شَیۡءٍ قَدِیۡرٌ ﴿۲۶﴾
3:26 Say: O Allah, Owner of the Kingdom, You give the kingdom to whom You please, and take away the kingdom from whom You please, and You exalt whom You please and degrade whom You please. In Your hand is the good. Surely You are Powerful over all things.
تُوۡلِجُ الَّیۡلَ فِی النَّہَارِ وَ تُوۡلِجُ النَّہَارَ فِی الَّیۡلِ ۫ وَ تُخۡرِجُ الۡحَیَّ مِنَ الۡمَیِّتِ وَ تُخۡرِجُ الۡمَیِّتَ مِنَ الۡحَیِّ ۫ وَ تَرۡزُقُ مَنۡ تَشَآءُ بِغَیۡرِ حِسَابٍ ﴿۲۷﴾
3:27 You make the night to pass into the day and You make the day to pass into the night; and You bring forth the living from the dead and You bring forth the dead from the living; and You give sustenance to whom You please without measure.3
لَا یَتَّخِذِ الۡمُؤۡمِنُوۡنَ الۡکٰفِرِیۡنَ اَوۡلِیَآءَ مِنۡ دُوۡنِ الۡمُؤۡمِنِیۡنَ ۚ وَ مَنۡ یَّفۡعَلۡ ذٰلِکَ فَلَیۡسَ مِنَ اللّٰہِ فِیۡ شَیۡءٍ اِلَّاۤ اَنۡ تَتَّقُوۡا مِنۡہُمۡ تُقٰىۃً ؕ وَ یُحَذِّرُکُمُ اللّٰہُ نَفۡسَہٗ ؕ وَ اِلَی اللّٰہِ الۡمَصِیۡرُ ﴿۲۸﴾
3:28 The believers should not take the disbelievers as allies rather than believers.4 And whoever does this has no connection with Allah — except that you guard yourselves against them,5 guarding carefully. And Allah cautions you against His retribution. And to Allah is the eventual coming.
قُلۡ اِنۡ تُخۡفُوۡا مَا فِیۡ صُدُوۡرِکُمۡ اَوۡ تُبۡدُوۡہُ یَعۡلَمۡہُ اللّٰہُ ؕ وَ یَعۡلَمُ مَا فِی السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ مَا فِی الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ وَ اللّٰہُ عَلٰی کُلِّ شَیۡءٍ قَدِیۡرٌ ﴿۲۹﴾
3:29 Say: Whether you hide what is in your hearts or manifest it, Allah knows it. And He knows whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth. And Allah is Powerful over all things.
یَوۡمَ تَجِدُ کُلُّ نَفۡسٍ مَّا عَمِلَتۡ مِنۡ خَیۡرٍ مُّحۡضَرًا ۚۖۛ وَّ مَا عَمِلَتۡ مِنۡ سُوۡٓءٍ ۚۛ تَوَدُّ لَوۡ اَنَّ بَیۡنَہَا وَ بَیۡنَہٗۤ اَمَدًۢا بَعِیۡدًا ؕ وَ یُحَذِّرُکُمُ اللّٰہُ نَفۡسَہٗ ؕ وَ اللّٰہُ رَءُوۡفٌۢ بِالۡعِبَادِ ﴿٪۳۰﴾
3:30 On the day when every soul will find present whatever good it has done, and whatever evil it has done, it will wish that between it and that (evil) there were a long distance. And Allah cautions you against His retribution. And Allah is Compassionate to the servants.
- The Jews are spoken of as being given only a portion of the Book, because much of it had already been lost. Moreover, the Torah was not a complete law. ↩
- The reference here is to the broad principles of religion regarding which the Jews and the Christians differed. The Book of Allah is the Holy Quran which gave a decision in the differences between them. ↩
- Verses 26–27 refer to the fact that kingdom and honour shall be given now to another nation, whose night shall be made to pass into a day of triumph. The Jews had already been warned by Jesus that “the kingdom of God will be taken from you and given to a nation bearing the fruits of it” (Matthew, 21:43). A living nation of Muslims was brought forth from among the dead Arabs, and the living nation of Israelites was represented now by a people who were spiritually dead. ↩
- The Muslims, being in a state of war with the disbelievers, were forbidden to look to their enemies to guard their interests or for help of any kind. The clear statement made in 60:8–9 settles the point beyond all doubt: “Allah does not forbid you, with regard to those who do not fight you for religion, nor drive you forth from your homes, that you show them kindness and deal with them justly. … Allah forbids you only with regard to those who fight you for religion, and drive you forth from your homes and help (others) in your expulsion, that you make friends of them”. ↩
- The meaning is: Do not look to them for guarding your interests, rather guard yourselves against them. ↩