English Translation and Commentary of the Holy Quran (2010)
by Maulana Muhammad Ali
Chapter 50: Qaf — Qaf (Revealed at Makkah: 3 sections, 45 verses)
Section 1 (Verses 50:1–50:15): The Resurrection — Signs in Nature
بِسۡمِ اللّٰہِ الرَّحۡمٰنِ الرَّحِیۡمِ
In the name of Allah, the Beneficent, the Merciful.
قٓ ۟ۚ وَ الۡقُرۡاٰنِ الۡمَجِیۡدِ ۚ﴿۱﴾
بَلۡ عَجِبُوۡۤا اَنۡ جَآءَہُمۡ مُّنۡذِرٌ مِّنۡہُمۡ فَقَالَ الۡکٰفِرُوۡنَ ہٰذَا شَیۡءٌ عَجِیۡبٌ ۚ﴿۲﴾
50:2 Yet they wonder that a warner has come to them from among themselves; so the disbelievers say: This is a wonderful thing!
ءَاِذَا مِتۡنَا وَ کُنَّا تُرَابًا ۚ ذٰلِکَ رَجۡعٌۢ بَعِیۡدٌ ﴿۳﴾
50:3 When we die and become dust — that is a far return.
قَدۡ عَلِمۡنَا مَا تَنۡقُصُ الۡاَرۡضُ مِنۡہُمۡ ۚ وَ عِنۡدَنَا کِتٰبٌ حَفِیۡظٌ ﴿۴﴾
50:4 We know indeed what the earth diminishes of them and with Us is a book that preserves.3
بَلۡ کَذَّبُوۡا بِالۡحَقِّ لَمَّا جَآءَہُمۡ فَہُمۡ فِیۡۤ اَمۡرٍ مَّرِیۡجٍ ﴿۵﴾
50:5 But they reject the Truth when it comes to them, so they are in a state of confusion.
اَفَلَمۡ یَنۡظُرُوۡۤا اِلَی السَّمَآءِ فَوۡقَہُمۡ کَیۡفَ بَنَیۡنٰہَا وَ زَیَّنّٰہَا وَ مَا لَہَا مِنۡ فُرُوۡجٍ ﴿۶﴾
50:6 Do they not look at the sky above them? — how We have made it and adorned it and it has no flaws.
وَ الۡاَرۡضَ مَدَدۡنٰہَا وَ اَلۡقَیۡنَا فِیۡہَا رَوَاسِیَ وَ اَنۡۢبَتۡنَا فِیۡہَا مِنۡ کُلِّ زَوۡجٍۭ بَہِیۡجٍ ۙ﴿۷﴾
50:7 And the earth, We have spread it out, and cast in it mountains, and We have made to grow in it (things) of every beautiful kind —
تَبۡصِرَۃً وَّ ذِکۡرٰی لِکُلِّ عَبۡدٍ مُّنِیۡبٍ ﴿۸﴾
50:8 as an insight and a reminder to every servant who turns (to Allah).
وَ نَزَّلۡنَا مِنَ السَّمَآءِ مَآءً مُّبٰرَکًا فَاَنۡۢبَتۡنَا بِہٖ جَنّٰتٍ وَّ حَبَّ الۡحَصِیۡدِ ۙ﴿۹﴾
50:9 And We send down from the clouds water abounding in good, then We cause to grow with it gardens and the grain that is reaped,
وَ النَّخۡلَ بٰسِقٰتٍ لَّہَا طَلۡعٌ نَّضِیۡدٌ ﴿ۙ۱۰﴾
50:10 and the tall palm-trees having flower spikes piled one above another —
رِّزۡقًا لِّلۡعِبَادِ ۙ وَ اَحۡیَیۡنَا بِہٖ بَلۡدَۃً مَّیۡتًا ؕ کَذٰلِکَ الۡخُرُوۡجُ ﴿۱۱﴾
50:11 a sustenance for the servants, and We give life with it to a dead land. Thus is the rising.4
کَذَّبَتۡ قَبۡلَہُمۡ قَوۡمُ نُوۡحٍ وَّ اَصۡحٰبُ الرَّسِّ وَ ثَمُوۡدُ ﴿ۙ۱۲﴾
50:12 Before them the people of Noah rejected (the Truth) and (so did) the dwellers of Rass and Thamūd
وَ عَادٌ وَّ فِرۡعَوۡنُ وَ اِخۡوَانُ لُوۡطٍ ﴿ۙ۱۳﴾
50:13 and Ād and Pharaoh and Lot’s brethren,
وَّ اَصۡحٰبُ الۡاَیۡکَۃِ وَ قَوۡمُ تُبَّعٍ ؕ کُلٌّ کَذَّبَ الرُّسُلَ فَحَقَّ وَعِیۡدِ ﴿۱۴﴾
50:14 and the dwellers of the grove and the people of Tubba.5 They all rejected the messengers, so My threat came to pass.
اَفَعَیِیۡنَا بِالۡخَلۡقِ الۡاَوَّلِ ؕ بَلۡ ہُمۡ فِیۡ لَبۡسٍ مِّنۡ خَلۡقٍ جَدِیۡدٍ ﴿٪۱۵﴾
50:15 Were We then fatigued with the first creation? Yet they are in doubt about a new creation.6
- The letter Qāf, with which v.1 begins, stands for the name Qādir (or Qadīr) of the Divine Being, meaning Omnipotent or All-Powerful, or for al-Qiyāmat, the Resurrection. ↩
- An expression of wonder at the disbelief of people. The whole of the Quran is spoken of as one book even at this early period. ↩
- What the earth diminishes is the body, dust going to dust. The book that preserves is the record of the deeds which a person has done. The consequences of deeds are preserved in their entirety and out of them grows a new life in the Resurrection. ↩
- The rising here includes both the spiritual resurrection of a dead people in this life and also the greater Resurrection in a life after death. ↩
- For the dwellers of Rass, see 25:38 footnote; for dwellers of the grove, 15:78 footnote; for Tubba, 44:37 footnote. ↩
- The meaning is that Allah did not lack power in dealing with the former generations so that they should doubt His power in dealing with a new one. Or, the first creation is the physical creation of man, and the second creation his spiritual regeneration. ↩