English Translation and Commentary of the Holy Quran (2010)
by Maulana Muhammad Ali
Chapter 6: Al-Anam — The Cattle (Revealed at Makkah: 20 sections, 165 verses)
Section 13 (Verses 6:101–6:110): Gradual Progress
بَدِیۡعُ السَّمٰوٰتِ وَ الۡاَرۡضِ ؕ اَنّٰی یَکُوۡنُ لَہٗ وَلَدٌ وَّ لَمۡ تَکُنۡ لَّہٗ صَاحِبَۃٌ ؕ وَ خَلَقَ کُلَّ شَیۡءٍ ۚ وَ ہُوَ بِکُلِّ شَیۡءٍ عَلِیۡمٌ ﴿۱۰۱﴾
6:101 Wonderful Originator of the heavens and the earth! How could He have a son when He has no consort? And He created everything, and He is the Knower of all things.1
ذٰلِکُمُ اللّٰہُ رَبُّکُمۡ ۚ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ ۚ خَالِقُ کُلِّ شَیۡءٍ فَاعۡبُدُوۡہُ ۚ وَ ہُوَ عَلٰی کُلِّ شَیۡءٍ وَّکِیۡلٌ ﴿۱۰۲﴾
6:102 That is Allah, your Lord. There is no god but He, the Creator of all things; therefore serve Him, and He has charge of all things.
لَا تُدۡرِکُہُ الۡاَبۡصَارُ ۫ وَ ہُوَ یُدۡرِکُ الۡاَبۡصَارَ ۚ وَ ہُوَ اللَّطِیۡفُ الۡخَبِیۡرُ ﴿۱۰۳﴾
6:103 Vision cannot comprehend Him, and He comprehends (all) vision; and He is the Knower of subtleties, the Aware.2
قَدۡ جَآءَکُمۡ بَصَآئِرُ مِنۡ رَّبِّکُمۡ ۚ فَمَنۡ اَبۡصَرَ فَلِنَفۡسِہٖ ۚ وَ مَنۡ عَمِیَ فَعَلَیۡہَا ؕ وَ مَاۤ اَنَا عَلَیۡکُمۡ بِحَفِیۡظٍ ﴿۱۰۴﴾
6:104 Clear proofs have indeed come to you from your Lord; so whoever sees, it is for the good of his own soul; and whoever is blind, it is to its harm. And I am not a keeper over you.
وَ کَذٰلِکَ نُصَرِّفُ الۡاٰیٰتِ وَ لِیَقُوۡلُوۡا دَرَسۡتَ وَ لِنُبَیِّنَہٗ لِقَوۡمٍ یَّعۡلَمُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۵﴾
6:105 And thus do We repeat the messages, and that they may say, You have studied; and that We may make it clear to a people who know.
اِتَّبِعۡ مَاۤ اُوۡحِیَ اِلَیۡکَ مِنۡ رَّبِّکَ ۚ لَاۤ اِلٰہَ اِلَّا ہُوَ ۚ وَ اَعۡرِضۡ عَنِ الۡمُشۡرِکِیۡنَ ﴿۱۰۶﴾
6:106 Follow what is revealed to you from your Lord — there is no god but He; and turn away from those who set up partners (with Allah).
وَ لَوۡ شَآءَ اللّٰہُ مَاۤ اَشۡرَکُوۡا ؕ وَ مَا جَعَلۡنٰکَ عَلَیۡہِمۡ حَفِیۡظًا ۚ وَ مَاۤ اَنۡتَ عَلَیۡہِمۡ بِوَکِیۡلٍ ﴿۱۰۷﴾
6:107 And if Allah had pleased, they would not have set up others (with Him). And We have not appointed you a keeper over them, and you are not in charge of them.
وَ لَا تَسُبُّوا الَّذِیۡنَ یَدۡعُوۡنَ مِنۡ دُوۡنِ اللّٰہِ فَیَسُبُّوا اللّٰہَ عَدۡوًۢا بِغَیۡرِ عِلۡمٍ ؕ کَذٰلِکَ زَیَّنَّا لِکُلِّ اُمَّۃٍ عَمَلَہُمۡ ۪ ثُمَّ اِلٰی رَبِّہِمۡ مَّرۡجِعُہُمۡ فَیُنَبِّئُہُمۡ بِمَا کَانُوۡا یَعۡمَلُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۸﴾
6:108 And do not abuse those whom they call upon besides Allah, in case, exceeding the limits, they abuse Allah through ignorance.3 Thus to every people have We made their deeds seem good; then to their Lord is their return so He will inform them of what they did.
وَ اَقۡسَمُوۡا بِاللّٰہِ جَہۡدَ اَیۡمَانِہِمۡ لَئِنۡ جَآءَتۡہُمۡ اٰیَۃٌ لَّیُؤۡمِنُنَّ بِہَا ؕ قُلۡ اِنَّمَا الۡاٰیٰتُ عِنۡدَ اللّٰہِ وَ مَا یُشۡعِرُکُمۡ ۙ اَنَّہَاۤ اِذَا جَآءَتۡ لَا یُؤۡمِنُوۡنَ ﴿۱۰۹﴾
6:109 And they swear their strongest oaths by Allah that if a sign comes to them they would certainly believe in it. Say: Signs are with Allah. And what should make you know that when they come they do not believe?4
وَ نُقَلِّبُ اَفۡـِٕدَتَہُمۡ وَ اَبۡصَارَہُمۡ کَمَا لَمۡ یُؤۡمِنُوۡا بِہٖۤ اَوَّلَ مَرَّۃٍ وَّ نَذَرُہُمۡ فِیۡ طُغۡیَانِہِمۡ یَعۡمَہُوۡنَ ﴿۱۱۰﴾٪
6:110 And We turn their hearts and their sights, just as they did not believe in it the first time; and We leave them in their inordinacy, blindly wandering on.5
- This verse and those that follow describe the transcendental Unity of the Divine Being. To attribute a son to Him is to acknowledge that He had a consort; otherwise the word son will have to be taken simply as a metaphor. ↩
- The physical vision of man, working as it does only within narrow limits and being able only to see bodies, cannot comprehend the Infinite One. He is the all-pervading Spirit, and can be seen only with the spiritual eye. ↩
- Here Muslims are forbidden to abuse even the idols of other people, though their worship is condemned in the strongest terms. ↩
- Many signs of the Holy Prophet’s truth had appeared while he was still at Makkah, but they still went on demanding signs. The reply, “signs are with Allah”, means that the sign which they demanded would be shown and that Allah had the power to show all kinds of signs. But even then they would not believe. The first sign of the overthrow of the power of the Quraish appeared in the battle of Badr, but they did not believe even then. ↩
- The turning of their hearts and sights is Allah’s leaving them in their inordinacy, as explained by the verse itself. And even this is due to their own action in rejecting the truth. When an attitude of enmity is assumed towards the truth, the heart becomes estranged from it, and this growing estrangement is termed the turning away of the heart from it. ↩